COVID-19 Announcement

M.G. Michaels & Associates Professional Corporation is an essential service, available for business, while operating in accordance with Order issued by the Premier of Ontario, and is practicing and encouraging social distancing measures for the safe health of all persons. Learn More [61] Essential services include professional and social services that support the legal and justice system;
[65] Professional services including lawyers and paralegals, engineers, accountants, translators.
Order of the Premier of Ontario | March 23 2020 8:00PM


Legal GuardianshipGuardianship Assistance Services

If you have a loved one that is incapable of taking care of themselves for any number of medical reasons or managing their finances, and they are over the age of eighteen (18), you will likely need to obtain legal guardianship over their property and personal care in order to direct doctors, dentists and other professionals on their care, and to deal with banks and benefit providers, such as ODSP, CPP disability, Trillium, et cetera, in their place to ensure that they have the necessities of life while in your care or the care of a third party.  We can help with that.  For example:

  • If you have a child with Downs Syndrome, who may become capable of living on their own, and taking care of their physical needs (such as medical/dental appointments, hygiene, dressing appropriately for the weather; knowing what to do in an emergency; et cetera), but not able to protect themselves from scam artists, you may choose to seek guardianship of their property so that you control their money, and you protect them from the scam artists.

  • If you have a child with autism, they may be capable of managing their hygiene and dressing appropriately, but incapable of managing their medical/dental appointments or deciding how to cope with a medical emergency, as well as being incapable of managing their finances.  In that situation, you may choose to seek guardianship of both their personal care, restricted to the issues they are not capable of managing on their own and their property.

Very often you will find that medical professionals and banks will work with you if you are the parent of a child with capacity issues, but they may choose to stop working with you when your child attains age eighteen (18).  Or, what if a close family member has an incapacitating event as an adult?  If they did not have a signed Power of Attorney for both personal care and for a property, you would need to seek guardianship of that adult individual.

Whatever the situation that you encounter when it comes to the incapacity of a loved one, if there is no Power of Attorney directing you to act (made when that individual had capacity), you will have to apply for guardianship.  Let us help you!

For more information, fill out the form below to send a direct inquiry to M.G. Michaels & Associates

ATTENTION: Confidential information regarding your case must not be sent through this website.  This website is not intended as providing legal advice nor intended as a method to establish a legal-representative/client relationship.  Do not include confidential details about your case by email or phone.  Use this website form only to arrange an introduction with a M.G. Michaels & Associates Professional Corporation representative, before taking any steps to discuss the particulars of your legal case.  Legal advice cannot be provided to you via reply email or over the phone.  Your IP Address is:
M.G. Michaels & Associates Professional Corporation

381 Westney Road South
Ajax, Ontario,
L1S 6M6

P: (905) 426-1476
T: (855) 326-1476
F: (905) 426-1091

Hours of Business:

9:00AM – 5:00PM
9:00AM – 5:00PM
9:00AM – 5:00PM
9:00AM – 5:00PM
9:00AM – 5:00PM

By appointment only.  Please call for details.


Durham Region

Port Perry
and much more

Logo: Lawyer - Marie G. Michaels & Associates
M.G. Michaels & Associates Professional Corporation

SSL Secured Trust

Animated Spinner